Sunday, January 29, 2006

Visitor from Blogland and Serious Soul Searching

When I lived in Iowa, January was the month of the year that I held with the most disdain. It is a long, brutally cold period of time in which there is little to do but scrape windshields, jump-start your car and generally hibernate. January had no redeeming qualities.

January is now my favorite month of the year. It is usually 70 degrees here during January, the sun is almost always out and it is the time of year when we Phoenicians can get outside and enjoy ourselves. We get numerous visitors this time of year and I love it. Having visitors gives me an excuse to do the things that I love to do. I am a
tourist and I love hanging out at tourist traps as well as quirky out of the way places.

As I have previously mentioned, I have become addicted to this blog thing. On Saturday my world of being a tourist collided with my world on the blog.
Jim Crall is in Phoenix on business and we have been trying to find a time to meet and it hasn't been easy. Saturday, I set my sites on making the meeting happen and we finally got in touch with each other.

I phoned Jim at around 10:30...no answer - so I left a voicemail message and asked him to call me back.

At around 11:15, Jim returned my call and left me a voicemail. I would learn later that he had been out the night before to a local establishment and was feeling a little rough. I knew I was going to like him.

We finally spoke in person to one another about 20 minutes later and made arrangements to meet at 4:30. I gave him directions to the meeting place. I also mentioned that his co-worker was more than welcome to join us if he would like.

At 4:30 we met at a shopping center. about 5 miles from my house. I picked him up and we headed north toward Cave Creek/Carefree. Just a little drive out of the way, off Pima Road, is a place called Greasewood Flat. As we arrived at Greasewood Flat, I asked Jim why his co-worker declined the invitation and his answer makes me laugh still.

Apparently, this little meeting was viewed by said co-worker as "kind of creepy" because he met me on the internet. He warned Jim that he was meeting some guy that called himself a "Pink Flamingo" and went by the name of Flamingo1. I think the quote was something like, "Dude, you are going to end up out in the desert somewhere tied up with your pants around your ankles." Jim - you may correct this quote if you would like, but I think that captures the true spirit of said co-worker's comments. If you swing over to Jim's site, you can see a picture of Rob - whom I believe the quote is attributed.

When you think about it, he makes a pretty good point and frankly the same thought had crossed my mind - which is why I brought Marcus (the pool boy) as my main wingman.

In any event, we headed into this place -


Greasewood is a collection of shacks surrounding a collection of picnic table. It draws in tourists, families, bikers and....us.

I guess it is a "bar" using the term very loosely. But it is a bar without walls (mostly).

At night, they light the fire pits; you can purchase marshmallows to roast; they sell burgers, hotdogs, chili and such. I usually stick with a burger and beer - but the chili is fantastic.

I pulled this picture off the internet - but this is what it looks like. At this point, I was a little hesitant to pull the camera out and start snapping pictures - especially because I wasn't yet willing to be the subject of any of those photographs for public display on the blog. It was a quandary that worried me all afternoon.

Jim had a camera with him and I had a camera with me. How was I going to avoid the loss of my anonymity?

Jim, Marquez (the Pool Boy) and I sat here at Greasewood Flat and drank a few beers and ate one of the best burgers in town. I hear there are better elsewhere, but the burger here is pretty darn good. The best part is that you get to sit outside in the sun and eat your burger which makes it taste that much better.

As we sat there at our picnic table in the middle of Greasewood Flat, Jim received a phone call from his brother
Dan. Dan asked to speak to me and we chatted on Jim's cell phone for about 10 minutes. My fears of being dragged into the desert to never be seen again abated very quickly.

As the sun started to set, we went to the far side of the gravel parking lot which blends into the desert; the dividing line being the point at which desert plants appeared. We hiked up a small hill into a piece of the desert to take a couple of photos. The sun was starting to set and the light was fading but we managed to take a few pictures. Jim wanted a picture standing next to a saguaro cactus. Even after living here for ten years, I am still amazed by these giant tree-like cacti.



Please enjoy the montage of photos that follow. I think the fading light adds an interesting effect to the prickly plants populating the Sonoran desert surrounding Phoenix. I have posted a sunset picture on my blog previously and have had several people comment on how beautiful it was - my secret is that I let the sun and the mountains do most of the work. There are beautiful sunsets here nightly. You just have to be somewhere to watch.


IT'S A MONTAGE...

GOTTA HAVE A MONTAGE...



After snapping a few photos in the desert, we decided to move on. We headed even further north to a micro-brew that I enjoy in Cave Creek, Arizona. It is connected to a restaurant called Crazy Ed's Satisfied Frog. The brewery portion of the operation is called the Black Mountain Brewery. The reason: it is located at the base of Black Mountain. Black Mountain Brewery is famous (or infamous) for its Cave Creek Chili Beer. It is a bottled beer that contains a little kicker - an inch and a half long jalapeno pepper. Go here to see more about the Black Mountain Brewery:
Chili Beer .

As you can see from the photo, this place has ambiance. They are home of the $199.95 margarita. We actually saw someone drinking the $199.95 margarita while we were there. They were half price on Saturday night...but we stuck to the beer. They actually make a fantastic amber called Ocotillo Amber. The South of the Border Porter has a bit more zing to it. I had a few of each. Jim had a couple Frog Lights and a Black Mountain Gold. Mmmm....beer.

We also walked around the little tourist shops that ring Crazy Ed's Satisfied Frog and Jim bought a few souvenirs. I'm an old guy, so as it approached 10:00, we decided it was time to head back to town.

I knew Jim had several photos of me on his camera. I also had several photos of Jim on my camera. I had been thinking about this all night long and it seemed silly to me. I have probably half a dozen people that I know that read my blog all the time. If someone I knew stumbled across this blog by accident, it would take them roughly 5 minutes to figure out who I am. My kids are on here. Flmng1 is pictured on here several times. My life has been pretty much put out there on this thing. I may be anonymous, but I write truths about who I really am all over this thing. The only part of anonymity is what my name is and what I look like.

So after much soul searching...

here I am with Jim.



Please note that it had been a long day outside and I need a haircut (or need to cut what hair I have remaining). I am the old guy on the left.

Jim, I hope you enjoyed yourself. I had a blast. Thanks!

33 Comments:

Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

You are not an old man. You have evolved from sexy bird to sexy man.

I haven't read this post yet. Just wanted to leave a comment.

11:27 AM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Okay, read it. I am very jealous. I want to move to America.

(Genet is going to kill me for saying that).

Your hair is not too long, and you have all of it. I don't know what you are talking about.

(**and if you begin to loose your hair, so what? Some men go bald. JC wanted it that way**)

11:46 AM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

My hair is certainly thinning. In sunlight there is clear scalp visible. That's why I chose a night picture! I keep it very short because it looks less sparse that way. No combover yet...but I am working on it.

I can only dream of having fabulous hair like Complete Game. I understand there will be a fabulous hair post regarding that shortly.

12:04 PM, January 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous provided this enlightening comment...

That's you on the left? I thought you were somebody else. Why have I been posting here?

Oh, and for what its worth, those desert sounds of "deuling banjos" were not meant for you.

Kudos on the "What about Bob" shout out. I hope other people appreciated it.

12:08 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

Fog, it was huge. It was in this giant vase like thing - decorative blown glass possibly. Two enormous straws emerged from the top. In addition to being huge, it ws made with some high quality tequila.

Kagemusha - nice job picking up on the "What About Bob" reference!

12:18 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Erin O'Brien provided this enlightening comment...

well well well

The format gods have smiled on me once again. Not only did I have the undiluted pleasure of having my book cover appear next to Jungle Jane's "tits" for a short time, but now I am pictured naked right beneath the virgin snap of the Flamingo.

And this phrase bears repeating: Life Is Beautiful.

It's nice to meet, you, Flamingo. And you've go no worries, luv. You look just great.

1:13 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

Nice to be seen by you, too.

You were my inspiration. You have your picture and name out there on the blog and have had no issues as far as I am aware. After consideration, I thought, what could it really hurt? Other than my reputation as a bad ass biker type...which was probably pretty well soiled anyway.

I am maturing. As you can see, I didn't even make a comment about you being naked underneath me.

I hope this doesn't mean that I have lost the ability to tell penis and fart jokes.

1:42 PM, January 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous provided this enlightening comment...

Flamingo, I can never forsee the day when you will lose the ability to tell penis and fart jokes. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, and Flamingos gotta tell penis and fart jokes. It is Nature's way.

2:51 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Ranando provided this enlightening comment...

Flam,

What a great post and I bet Jim had a blast.

My wife and I are in Scottsdale all the time with family and friends there also.

Next time we'll get together.

The Ranando Report

3:32 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

Ranando, that sounds great. Let me know when you are coming this way. It was a lot of fun to meet someone with whom I have corresponded on this thing.

3:38 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Nobody provided this enlightening comment...

Wow. My hero!!! Props to you on coming clean.. You look just like your adorable son... just a bit more "evolved". The "bar" looks like a blast!!

4:33 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

The bar is a blast. If you ever get down this way, I would be more than happy to take you there...and I promise not to take you off into the desert and molest you - unless, of course, that's what you want.

4:36 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger garrett provided this enlightening comment...

Flamingo, great story. Great times. It occurred to me that perhaps Dan and Jim cooked up Dan's call just to make sure you weren't in the process of dismembering Jim. Of course if you were and his phone started ringing and it was Dan calling to checking in to see if Jim was OK, all Dan would know is that maybe Jim wasn't OK...

Just speculating ...

7:29 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

Garrett, that is indeed an interesting point on which to speculate.

I will have to defer answering that question due to the fact that I have no inside knowledge to provide a truthful answer.

Jim, Dan - was Dan's call concocted to make certain I wasn't recreating a scene from Deliverance out in the desert with Jim somewhere?

Please confirm.

7:36 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger t_cole provided this enlightening comment...

Heellllooooo handsome.........

8:26 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger jungle jane provided this enlightening comment...

spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunk! crap, looking at your picture i think being lost in the desert with you with my pants down at my feet is a fantastic option. Mrs Flamingo is a lucky bird!!!

8:31 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger MsAmber provided this enlightening comment...

You are EXACTLY how I pictured you.
HA.
Rock on.
MsAmber

9:01 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

Tcole, Jungle Jane and MsAmber, thank you all for your kind comments.

Jane, any time you want to go out into the desert and pretend to be Ned Beatty in Deliverance, I would gladly be your hillbilly Bob.

Bill the Apostle, I would totally do you too. That is the nicest complement ever delivered to me by a homo-erotic messenger of Christ.

Nowhere Girl...we need to talk.

9:53 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

Chunk you are the man!!!

If you ever want to go get a burger at Greasewood or at Harold's I am in.

10:17 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Nobody provided this enlightening comment...

Si Senor.

No really we don't.

I get it. Especially after seeing your cute little face today.

I emailed you, by the way...

10:28 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

NWG, two things puzzle me.

One is - what was it you saw in my face?

Two is - where did that e-mail go. Did you use the link on my profile page here at Born to Flock?

10:43 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Nobody provided this enlightening comment...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:48 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Nobody provided this enlightening comment...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:52 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Nobody provided this enlightening comment...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:55 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Bloodgood provided this enlightening comment...

Good work Flamingo, Greasewood Flat is awesome. Your a bold man for putting it out there for everyone.
I am saluting you three amigos stlye.
Slap.Slap.Slap.Slap.....HUHH

11:38 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger BadGod provided this enlightening comment...

I just noticed that I forgot to change alter egos. And since I am too lazy to delete it I wam just gonna say...I agree with myself.

2:39 AM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Nobody provided this enlightening comment...

BADGOD!! He he.. you are a fucking MESS. ~snicker~

12:49 PM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger crallspace provided this enlightening comment...

My call was all a ploy to talk to you on the cell phone... we also wanted me to break up the awkwardnes, if it were to happen. Then, after the phone call, you guys could say, "so how bout that Dan? He's somethin."

2:35 AM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Very good move, Dan.

I can picture you now, back in the day before you were married, inconspicuously stretching your arm out...

2:30 PM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Awesome Jim provided this enlightening comment...

Wow. I can't believe I'm not seeing this post until today. Very well written. I didn't know you were scared of being killed. HA. And no, Dan wasn't making sure I wasn't dead. He wanted to talk to you in person, so I told him a half an hour before to call me in a half an hour, and I'd let him talk to you. Besides, he's over 1,000 miles away, and I already knew what you did from your blog. I've never been too worried about lawyers killing me in the desert. It was an awesome time, though, and it sounds like you could become a guided tour guide for all the bloggers coming through Phoenix. And you know, neither of us got any pictures of the alluring Marquez...

4:44 AM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger Awesome Jim provided this enlightening comment...

Guided tour guide... that should be in the dictionary.

4:45 AM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger crallspace provided this enlightening comment...

PDD, I was/am much more clutzy than you'd imagine.

12:10 PM, February 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous provided this enlightening comment...

hey everyone.

We have an independent film that was shot at Greasewood Flat, and elsewhere in Arizona. It's a great way to see the place, and a great film.

www.greasewoodflatmovie.com

ps. thanks!

5:05 PM, May 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home