Sunday, October 08, 2006

Cheating On Erin O'Brien


My son read White Teeth by Zadie Smith and then passed his copy along to me. It took me a while to get to it, but I finished reading it on my trip to Cedar Rapids for my grandmother's funeral. It was a fantastic novel and I highly recommend it...but this post isn't a book review (perhaps it should be?).

A couple of weeks ago, my son invited me to attend an event with him at Arizona State University. It was a reading and book signing by Zadie Smith.

I'm north of 40 years old and I had never been to a book signing before. So I went.

I thoroughly enjoyed the reading and the book signing was quite exciting. I took this picture of my son with Zadie Smith. She is not only beautiful, she also has a lovely soul. The best part of this evening was spending time with my son - who has really grown in so many ways. He has developed an appetite for knowledge and a love for great literature. I can't tell you how much I cherished this evening; sharing something that we both truly enjoyed.

I am looking forward to reading her new book - On Beauty. I will have to buy my own copy this time, because I am pretty certain that he isn't going to loan me his signed copy.

*****But don't forget to read Harvey & Eck by Erin O'Brien before reading anything else. Don't even read the newspaper tomorrow morning until you have finished Harvey & Eck .

12 Comments:

Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Yes, I have heard of Zadie Smith. I will definitely pick up a copy provided it's in bookstores. Remember, I can't shop on line. Zadie is seriously beautiful. How old is she? Your son is outstandingly gorgeous! If only I wasn't maried...

8:04 PM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger josh williams provided this enlightening comment...

Hey I review books. Amazon loves me much. I only write once. In other words once. Four word my allowance. Got it I think? Many Many Kind Regards
JW

8:35 PM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

You do well limited. Four words are plenty. I think I understand. Thank you for message.

9:40 PM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger garrett provided this enlightening comment...

I call bullshit. That doesn't look anything like Marquez.

10:26 AM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

That isn't Marquez. He was our pool boy. He returned to CR at the beginning of August. Now retract your bullshit before I am forced to destroy you.

5:00 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger Satan provided this enlightening comment...

go to hell

do not pass go

go directly to hell

do not collect two hundred dollars

go to hell

6:38 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

FYI - Satan's return is purely coincidental.

Seriously.

7:54 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Satan, I'm comming baby, I'm comming.

9:16 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Dude, it's music month over at my gates. You have got to check out Tokyo Police Club. Particularly their song "Nature of the Experiment."

They are from Toronto. They rock!

Come on! I thought you liked music. Show some support would you, you lazy bird.

9:34 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger Erin O'Brien provided this enlightening comment...

Hi. I am here.

Love on ...

3:08 AM, October 10, 2006  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Oh my, we really are all back.

9:13 PM, October 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous provided this enlightening comment...

Hallo! ;)
hey... what mad news!
what do you consider about it?

9:55 PM, February 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home