Tuesday, October 10, 2006

In Training...


Sunday night I ran for the first time in several months. It hurt. I am going again in just a few minutes because I am into self mutilation and masochism. November 12th is the Phoenix New Times 10Kand I want to be able to finish it in under an hour. That doesn't sound like much unless you calculate in the fact that I am presently an out of shape tub of goo.

Sunday I traveled 2 miles by foot. About 3/4 of a mile was at a jog.

I know I can't beat my son with one and a half month of training; I just want to be able to finish the damn race. Because you are all riveted by my progress, I will provide updates as to my progress and training schedule.

Tonight, I am going to try to complete the full 2 miles doing at least an easy jog. We will work on speed later.

Then, this spring...

4 Comments:

Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

You are not an out of shape tub of goo. You just drink too much and smoke too much crack.

Don't touch the pogos. A moment on your lips, forever on your hips. You will go downhill my friend.

Oh, wait a second, I guess "a moment on your lips, forever on your hips" just doesn't work as well with guys since they don't really gain wait around their hips. Oh no, wait, yes they do. Danny Devito.

8:53 PM, October 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous provided this enlightening comment...

Stay strong my friend. The aches in your side will eventually subside leaving you clear headed enough to contemplate "Why the heck am I doing this to myself" for most of the 10K.

Good luck.

9:44 AM, October 12, 2006  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

Are you going to run it with me? How about TG???

5:57 PM, October 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous provided this enlightening comment...

I am just now getting into running so I am a true beginner. (I mean really a beginner...Six weeks ago if I were facing a charging bear I would probably have calculated the odds of being killed or simply mauled before I hastily jumped to the conclusion that I should try to outrun the thing).

Anyway, I found a great program called "From Couch Potato to 5K" which I am faithfully following. I am up to 2.25 miles now and should be at a full 5K by the end of the month. However, given the early November timeframe for the race, I don't think I could work up to 10K before then.

TG says he is up for the challenge.

9:53 AM, October 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home