Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving Eve


I came home from work relatively early this evening to prepare for Thanksgiving. It is almost here, the most American of American holidays. The day when we really and truly flaunt our gluttony even more than our typcial gluttonous day.

By nature, I am not a serious or political person. I have strong opinions and I am not afraid to share them, but I am not an activist. But this year I can't help it. Maybe it is my advancing age, but whatever it is I have this to offer today: Tomorrow when we belly up to the table, let's think about what our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan (yes, we do still have many, many soldiers in Afghanistan) are doing on Thanksgiving. Think about what the Iraqi Johnson family (the average Iraqi family without explosives strapped to their bodies) are having for dinner on this day. Think about the people who remain without homes due to Katrina, etc.

And for once in your fucking life, be truly thankful for what you have. You can pout and whine about it not being as good as what they guy next door has for the rest of the year. But for one day, put it in perspective. The poorest working Americans - even without healthcare - have it so much better than 3/4 of the planet. We need to stop pissing and moaning about what we don't have for one day, and be deeply grateful for what has been handed to each of us solely because we were the product of a lucky sperm that swam upstream into the womb of an American parent. You did nothing to deserve your station on this planet except that. If your beginnings had been an Iraqi sperm, no matter how hard you have worked in your life, tomorrow your day would be shit.

So put it in perspective today and you can run out Friday and hit those great sales at Wal-Mart.

17 Comments:

Blogger crallspace provided this enlightening comment...

Well put.

I DO need to stop complaining, especially about American Pop music. Some people have nothing but a funky sitar and an eerie droning sound for music. Actually, that sounds prretty cool.

9:50 PM, November 23, 2005  
Blogger Erin O'Brien provided this enlightening comment...

I do not take one single inhalation for granted.

7:08 AM, November 24, 2005  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Well put!

I agree. I may not show that on my blog, but anyone who knows me, thinks I talk too much about what we have and what others don't. I was raised that way. With my parents enduring poverty in Europe during the second world war and all...

I have said this one too many times, but I'll say it again:

We know no adversity.

I include myself in this statement. But I do not know how lucky I am to have been born on this planet. Perhaps I made my selection to exist in body too early. I do tend to be impulsive... and daring.

7:43 AM, November 24, 2005  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Those bones are making me thirsty.

Good night my dear beautiful flocker with big beautiful feet.

PDD

2:49 PM, November 24, 2005  
Blogger ... provided this enlightening comment...

walmart is the house of satan

satan may be karl rove

i thought you would enjoy this
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051124/ap_on_fe_st/flamingos_returned

10:37 PM, November 24, 2005  
Blogger HighMaintenanceHussy provided this enlightening comment...

hehe here here, birdie!

is it okay if i feel a little sorry for myself, though? we don't celebrate thanksgiving over here. ;)

12:08 AM, November 25, 2005  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

I just came to your site to demand you add High Maintenance Hussy, which I now call, THC, to your blogs of note, but I see you have already done so. Good Job! You get 1000 points.

Also, I demand you add genet at youcoulduseme.blogspot.com to your blogs of note. How can you pass up that vision of his trip to Montreal? Have you read it? If not I demand you do so immediately!

I'll Check in soon enough.

9:36 AM, November 25, 2005  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Gobble Gobble... is what I will be doing tonight. And not because of Thanksgiving. We've already had one, but because after a fine bottle of grape I like to get freaky with my outrageously handsome husband. Well, I like to get freaky with my outrageously handsome husban whether I have consumed grape or not.

As you know my routine by now Pinky - off to the LCBO to pick me some fruit.

Have an awesome weekend Pinks. You deserve it.

And, I am also greatful that you blog, Pinky. I love you.

PDD

3:07 PM, November 25, 2005  
Blogger MsAmber provided this enlightening comment...

Now you've done it. I put some henna in my hair, and sat down and read your blog. I went and washed the henna out and I am Flamingo Pink! Actually Flamingo Pink with a dash of Iodine.
Thankyouverymuch!
I have exactly two days to get this faded out to a decent color before I HAVE to go out in public.
I hope you're happy.
MsAmber

8:22 PM, November 25, 2005  
Blogger Doughboy provided this enlightening comment...

Great posting!!! We all as Americans have a lot to be thankfull for. Even if Wal Mart sucks.

9:28 PM, November 25, 2005  
Blogger crallspace provided this enlightening comment...

I want to hang those turkey bones on my fence.

1:59 AM, November 27, 2005  
Blogger crallspace provided this enlightening comment...

Flamingo, you still alive?

10:36 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Erin O'Brien provided this enlightening comment...

Lula,

stop eating all the bloggers, young lady!

1:14 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Jay Noel provided this enlightening comment...

I guess this is your "sperm rant."

1:46 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Those bones are making me thirsty!

Are you still eating Pink?

What the hell happened to you, you old fart??

Later,

Pdd.

2:39 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

This absenteeism is begining to scare me now...

7:44 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

Pinky just type in fdiaeijfei... whatever just to let us know you're okay. I'm not kidding, I'm kinda worried.

8:05 AM, November 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home