Friday, December 09, 2005

Admitting My Hypocrisy


Early today, I read a comment in a post attacking someone for being Jewish. I was immediately offended (though I am not Jewish) and began drafting a response regarding how inappropriate such comments are. I was going to write about how offensive and ignorant such statements are. How can you classify an entire race/religion into such a negative category in one derogatory commment. I was prepared to go on and on and on at how awful such a statement was.

and then my own hypocrisy hit me.

I have done the same thing before on this very blog. My attack was not on the Jew, the Muslim, the Bhuddist or the [insert religion here]. No, my attack was on "Christians."

I very nearly went to battle against a silly ignorant statement made about the Jews when I was guilty of bashing Christians in a similar manner - for that, I want to apologize.

I guess all stereotypes/biases/racism/sexism stem from our personal experiences at some level and I have had several and significant issues with Christians in my life. That does not give me the right to show prejudice against Christians in the same manner that I would object to if directed at a Jew.

Logical consistency is paramount.

Therefore, I apologize.

8 Comments:

Blogger MsAmber provided this enlightening comment...

That was very "manly" of you Flamingo.
I try to recognize ideas that I hold on to because of dogma, or immature experiences.
Funny, I was thinking earlier when PDD told me I was puritanical, I was not insulted. I found it flattering because I was opinionated, cynical and jaded at 26 and now I have reverted to a more substantial existence.
I'm really going to like who I turn out to be in the end.
But I'll never allow myself to be as negative as I once was.

If Love is Blind,
and God is Love,
and Ray Charles is Blind,
Does that mean God plays the piano?

MsAmber

10:15 PM, December 09, 2005  
Blogger crallspace provided this enlightening comment...

Hey, you're forgiven. I understand exactly what you are saying, especially when it comes to a lot of Christians. As A Christian myself, I take issue with the holier than thou crowd, and am pretty rough on them.

10:28 PM, December 09, 2005  
Blogger ... provided this enlightening comment...

aw - fuck the christians.


actually i'm gonna go out of the "fuck organized relgion" limb

fuck everybody - humans suck.

blah me

7:22 AM, December 10, 2005  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

Femi - I am with you on the organized religion thing. My point is that I should not be singling out the Christians.

I also just returend from an ill-advised trip to the local mall. Humans suck. Humans suck ass. I don't know why we continue to let them live.

On the up side, I got a really cool reindeer tie to wear to my comany HOLIDAY party tonight. Yes, I just called it a HOLIDAY party.

1:40 PM, December 10, 2005  
Blogger Erin O'Brien provided this enlightening comment...

confidential to Flamingo (confidential to garrett: stop reading here):

Do not eff up.

1:48 PM, December 10, 2005  
Blogger FLAMINGO1 provided this enlightening comment...

Thank you, Erin! I think that will do the trick nicely.

Garrett, I trust that you behaved like the uncouth rube that you are and read Erin's post - shame on you.

3:01 PM, December 10, 2005  
Blogger garrett provided this enlightening comment...

I tried to stop. But I read too fast. My eyes had already gobbled the substantive paragraph before my brain had digested the parenthetical.

I apologize.

Also, note the word verification I am asked to type to post this comment is almost the name of an 80's band: "tpiau"

6:26 PM, December 10, 2005  
Blogger PDD provided this enlightening comment...

FYI, I happen to like alot of Jew's. I think many of them have a well developed sense of humor. The only Jew's I have an aversion to are Ari, and Ari the Anonymous. (Oh, and also one of my co-workers, who is alot like Ari). Ari doesn't have a well developed sense of humor, nor does Anonymous. They are both hypersensitive Jew's, which I have no tolerance for.

Perhaps I've confused you all with my comment to Ari. Allow me to make one thing clear. I'm not anti-Semitic. I DON'T like Hitler. He was a hypersensitive artist who painted really bad watercolor pictures. And I think it was really the rejection of his art that made him fall off the deep end and was the impetus of becoming a dictator. Hence lunacy. The underlying layers and real meaning of the comment was: I don't think that Ari should exist. I think he's a fool and is not worthy of the oxygen he inhales and the space he occupies.

That's all.

So to all of you whose brains are too one dimensional to understand this, I say, To hell you should go.

Good Day!

9:01 AM, December 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home